The P.A. Denny

Select for larger image
The P.A. DENNY as the SCOTT, circa 1930.
Photo courtesy of P.A. Denny Captain Frank Straub,
as published by the American Sternwheel Association.

Overview

The P.A. DENNY was built in 1930 as the SCOTT by Charles Ward Engineering Works, Charleston, West Virginia. She was built as a diesel sternwheel towboat for the U.S. Engineers, Louisville District. The vessel had been named after Addison Scott, a New York engineer who constructed the original Kanawha River locks in the 1800s.

The P.A. DENNY is a near duplicate of the sternwheel towboat TECUMSEH, built by Ward in 1928 (now the COTTON BLOSSOM). The DENNY's overall dimensions are listed in the Inland River Record as 109' by 22.9'. Coast Guard records list the DENNY's hull dimensions as 87.8' by 22.7' by 4.6'.

In 1954 the SCOTT was sold to Howard Powell & Son, of Guntersville, Alabama. In November, 1973 she was purchased by Peter Anthony Denny, of Dunbar, West Virginia, and renamed the ROBIN D TOO. Captain Denny's intention was to restore the aging vessel from the hull up and run her as an excursion boat. Captain Denny died in January, 1975 and in September the vessel was sold to the Pratt Mining Company, Hansford, West Virginia. The vessel was renamed P.A. DENNY in his honor. The vessel's restoration was completed and it began its commercial excursion career in 1976. In January, 1981 the vessel sank at her moorings when frigid temperatures caused a waterline break. She was raised, refurbished and continued with her excursion service later that year.

Left: The P.A. DENNY passes Charleston's Capitol building.
Right: Close-up of the P.A. DENNY's ornate cast-iron paddlewheel hubs.


Left: The P.A. DENNY at the 2000 Charleston Sternwheel Regatta.
Right: Another view of the P.A. DENNY at the 2000 Charleston Regatta.


Latest News...

The P.A. DENNY currently runs excursions on the Kanawha River at Charleston, West Virginia. Please visit their official web site for more information: www.padenny.com.